United States District Court,
- Northern District of California
- Central District of California
- Eastern District of California
- District of Colorado
- United States Court of Appeals,
- Ninth Circuit
J.D., University of California,
Hastings College of Law
B.A., University of California,
Thomas J. D’Amato
Mr. D’Amato is an experienced trial lawyer and business counselor. Chief among his areas of practice are professional liability, business disputes, real estate, intellectual property, employment and product liability. Mr. D’Amato also regularly represents clients in courts of appeal and in administrative proceedings.
Through his results driven, team approach, Mr. D’Amato provides a broad range of business, legal, transactional, employment, real estate, intellectual property and risk management services.
- Named a 2012 and 2011 Rising Star by SuperLawyers
- Acts as outside General Counsel to businesses and individuals
- Serves the Defense Research Institute as a Steering Committee Member on the Professional Liability and Public Service Committees
Selected Client Representations
- Counsel for law firm defendant and founding partner in complex legal malpractice action involving aviation wrongful death; jury verdict for defense
- Counsel for plaintiffs in real estate development joint venture; jury verdict for plaintiffs, affirmed in published decision
- Counsel for law firm defendant in complex legal malpractice action involving vehicle rollover litigation; defense judgment, affirmed on related appeal
- Counsel for plaintiff in vehicle v. bicycle accident which resulted in plaintiff’s traumatic brain injury and seizure disorder; $950,000 settlement for plaintiff.
- Bar Associations of San Francisco and Contra Costa counties
- Defense Research Institute, Professional Liability Steering Committee and Public Service Committee
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Former General Counsel to local political party
- Volunteer mock trial coach for San Francisco high schools
Contributing Author and Presenter
- The Estate Planning Team - co-presented to attorney and CPA clients, March 2013
- DRI For the Defense - "For The Common Good? Avoiding Potential Pitfalls in Joint Defense Agreements"
- DRI The Whisper - "Please Jurors, Check Your iPhone With The Bailiff" [juror misconduct in the digital age]
- Featured panelist for DRI Young Lawyers webcast - Handling a Trial as a First Chair
Mr. D’Amato is active in civic and charitable affairs in the San Francisco Bay Area. He served as the President of the Board of Directors for Diablo Valley Montessori School in Lafayette, California. He is a Member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, San Francisco Lodge No. 3. Mr. D’Amato is also a hobby backyard farmer, actively pursuing his passion for agriculture.