Primary Practice Areas
White Collar & Regulatory Defense
- All courts of the State of California
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- US Court of Appeals for Veteran's Claims
- United States District Court for the Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California
- US Court of Federal Claims
- US Tax Court
- District of Columbia
- J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law, with honors
- B.S., University of California (Davis), with highest honors
- Graduate Cert., Health and Hospital Law, Seton Hall University School of Law
- Cert., Mediation and Conflict Resolution, University of California (Berkeley Extension)
Adrian G. Driscoll
Senior Trial Counsel
Mr. Driscoll represents clients in a broad spectrum
of areas, including business and commercial litigation, appellate
services, personal injury, professional liability, attorney fee
litigation, trust litigation, actions arising under the Public Safety
Officer Procedural Bill of Rights Acts, constitutional and civil rights
claims, employment, and administrative law. He has handled the defense
of foreign corporations doing business in the United States as well as
admiralty and maritime cases. His experience has also included service
as an acting in-house bond counsel for Industrial Indemnity Company
where he handled surety and fidelity bond actions. He is Peer-Review
Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell and has been selected to the
Northern California Super Lawyer list since 2004 in the practice area
of civil litigation defense.
In addition to his practice at the Firm, Mr. Driscoll provides
mediation services. He has served as a Settlement Conference Officer
and as a Judge Pro Tem at Day of Trial Settlement Conferences for the
San Francisco Superior Court as well as a Panelist on the Sonoma County
Superior Court's Mediation Program.
Mr. Driscoll has been appointed as an Adjunct Professor at the
University of San Francisco School of Law where he has taught Discovery
and Discovery Practice since 2007. He is also a retired Lieutenant
Colonel in the Judge Advocate General's Corps, United States Army
Reserve, where his assignments included service as General Counsel
(Staff Judge Advocate) for an Army Reserve Division. During his
service, he studied government standards of conduct and fiscal law at
the Judge Advocate General's Legal Center, Charlottesville, Virginia.
Professional and Community Contributions
Mr. Driscoll is a member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution
section of the Bar Association of San Francisco and a member of the
Litigation Section of the State Bar. Mr. Driscoll is also a member of
the San Mateo County Bar Association, Defense Research Institute, and
the Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada.
Mr. Driscoll's support to the legal profession and the community
includes his service on the Board of Governors of the University of San
Francisco Law Society from 2007 - 2015 and the Legal Committee of San
Francisco's Olympic Club from 2012 - 2014. He has also served as a
Probation Monitor for the California State Bar Court, and as a member
of the State Bar Committees on the Administration of Justice and the
History of Law in California. Mr. Driscoll is a past President of the
St. Thomas More Society of San Francisco and the San Francisco Marine
Claim Agents Association, and is a life member of the National Eagle
- Preparing and Opposing Petitions for Mandate or Prohibition, Chapter 8, Appeals and Writs in Criminal Cases 3d (The Regents of University of California, 2007)
- Civilian Workplace Protection for Members of the Uniformed Services, co-authored with Thomas Clarke, Employee Relations Law Journal, Vol. 31, No. 4 (Aspen Publishers, 2006)
Published Appellate Decisions
- Morgado v. City and County of San Francisco., 13 Cal.App. 5th 1, Court of Appeals of California, First District, Division Four, June 27, 2017 - right of administrative appeal under the Public Safety Officers Procedural Bill of Rights Act.
- Vons Companies, Inc. v. Lyle Parks, Jr., Inc.,
177 Cal.App.4th 823, Court of Appeals of California, Second District,
Division Eight, August 17, 2009 - liability for attorney fees and cost
under assigned construction contracts.
- Parra v. City and County of San Francisco,
144 Cal.App.4th 977, Court of Appeals of California, First District,
Division Two, November 13, 2006 - clarification of the statute of
limitations under the Public Safety Officers Procedural Bill of Rights
- Regents of the University of California v. Superior Court,
41 Cal.App.4th 1040, Court of Appeals of California, First District,
Division One, January 10, 1996 - application of the primary assumption
of risk doctrine to the sport of rock climbing.
- McCarthy v. Poulsen,
173 Cal.App.3d 1212, Court of Appeals of California, Third District,
November 1, 1985 - charitable trustee succession and the liability of
Unpublished Appellate Decisions
- Alonso v. Chahal, 2017 Cal.App. Unpub. 2017 WL 5508205, Court of Appeals of California, First District - enforceability of agreement to arbitrate employment-related claims.
- Berger v. Varum,
2015 Cal. App. Unpub. 2105 WL 9412778, Court of Appeals of California,
First District - liability of building designers and engineers.
- Crane v. Clark,
2013 Cal. App. Unpub. 2013 WL 5536205, Court of Appeals of California,
First District - use of requests for admission and expert testimony
ADEM, LLC v. Grewal, 2009 Cal. App. Unpub., 2009 WL 4941987, Court of Appeals of California, Sixth District - application of strategic litigation against public participation (SLAPP) to attorney fee claim.
- Selvitella v. City of South San Francisco,
2011 U.S. App. LEXIS 6329, US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit -
public employee's right to discovery in administrative hearings.
- Carmignani v. Paganini (Carmignani II),
2010 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 8291, Court of Appeals of California, First
District - attorneys fees and costs in real estate sales contract
- Carmignani v. Paganini (Carmignani I),
2007 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 7490, Court of Appeals of California, First
District - non-disclosure in real estate sales contract.
- Reudy v. O.K. Investments,
2007 Cal. App. Unpub. 2007 WL 1154053, Court of Appeals of California,
First District - standing under the Unfair Business Practices Act.
- Bowen v. Linuxcare, 2006 Cal. App. Unpub. 2006 WL 2089916,
Court of Appeals of California, First District - enforceability of
employee release agreement in sexual harassment action.
- Officers for Justice v. San Francisco Police Officers Association, 1997 U.S. App. LEXIS 34846, US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit - application of the California Civil Rights Initiative.
- McAuliffe Honor Society of the University of San Francisco School of Law
- Departmental Citation in Agricultural Economics and Business Management awarded by the University of California (Davis)