Primary Practice Areas
White Collar & Regulatory Defense
- All courts of the State of California
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- US Court of Appeals for Veteran's Claims
- United States District Court for the Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California
- US Court of Federal Claims
- US Tax Court
- District of Columbia
- J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law, with honors
- B.S., University of California (Davis), with highest honors
- Graduate Cert., Health and Hospital Law, Seton Hall University School of Law
- Cert., Mediation and Conflict Resolution, University of California (Berkeley Extension)
Adrian G. Driscoll
Senior Trial Counsel
Mr. Driscoll represents clients in a broad spectrum of areas, including business and
commercial litigation, appellate services, personal injury, professional liability,
attorney fee litigation, trust litigation, actions arising under the Public Safety Officer
Procedural Bill of Rights Acts, constitutional and civil rights claims, employment, and
administrative law. He has handled the defense of foreign corporations doing
business in the United States as well as admiralty and maritime cases. His
experience has also included service as an acting in-house bond counsel for
Industrial Indemnity Company where he handled surety and fidelity bond actions. He
is Peer-Review Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell and has been selected
to the Northern California Super Lawyer list in 2004, 2006, and every year from 2009 to 2019 in the practice area of civil litigation defense.
In addition to his practice at the Firm, Mr. Driscoll provides mediation services. He
has served as a Settlement Conference Officer at Pre-Trial and Day of Trial
Settlement Conferences for the San Francisco Superior Court as well as a Panelist
on the Sonoma County Superior Court's Mediation Program.
Mr. Driscoll has been appointed as an Adjunct Professor at the University of San Francisco School of Law where he has taught Discovery and Discovery Practice since 2007. He also served as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Judge Advocate General's Corps, United States Army Reserve, where his assignments included appointment as General Counsel (Staff Judge Advocate) for an Army Reserve Division. During his service, he studied government standards of conduct and fiscal law at the Judge Advocate General's Legal Center, Charlottesville, Virginia.
Professional and Community Contributions
Mr. Driscoll is a member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution section of the Bar
Association of San Francisco and a member of the Litigation Section of the State
Bar. Mr. Driscoll is also a member of the American Bar Association, the San Mateo
County Bar Association, Defense Research Institute, and the Association of Defense
Counsel of Northern California and Nevada.
Mr. Driscoll's support to the legal profession and the community includes his service
on the Board of Governors of the University of San Francisco Law Society from 2007
- 2015 and the Legal Committee of San Francisco's Olympic Club from 2012 - 2014.
He has also served as a Probation Monitor for the California State Bar Court, and as
a member of the State Bar Committees on the Administration of Justice and the
History of Law in California. Mr. Driscoll is a past President of the St. Thomas More
Society of San Francisco and the San Francisco Marine Claim Agents Association,
and is a life member of the Judge Advocates Association (an ABA-affiliate) and the
National Eagle Scout Association.
- Preparing and Opposing Petitions for Mandate or Prohibition, Chapter 8, Appeals and Writs in Criminal Cases 3d (The Regents of University of California, 2007)
- Civilian Workplace Protection for Members of the Uniformed Services, co-authored with Thomas Clarke, Employee Relations Law Journal, Vol. 31, No. 4 (Aspen Publishers, 2006)
Published Appellate Decisions
- Morgado v. City and County of San Francisco., 13 Cal.App. 5th 1, Court of Appeals of California, First District, Division Four, June 27, 2017 - right of administrative appeal under the Public Safety Officers Procedural Bill of Rights Act.
- Vons Companies, Inc. v. Lyle Parks, Jr., Inc., 177 Cal.App.4th 823,
California Court of Appeal, Second District, Division Eight, August 17, 2009
- liability for attorney fees and cost under assigned construction contracts.
- Parra v. City and County of San Francisco, 144 Cal.App.4th 977, California Court of Appeal, First District, Division Two, November 13, 2006 -
clarification of the statute of limitations under the Public Safety Officers
Procedural Bill of Rights Act.
- Regents of the University of California v. Superior Court, 41 Cal.App.4th 1040, California Court of Appeal, First District, Division One, January 10,
1996 - application of the primary assumption of risk doctrine to the sport of
- McCarthy v. Poulsen, 173 Cal.App.3d 1212, California Court of Appeal,
Third District, November 1, 1985 - charitable trustee succession and the
liability of receivers.
Unpublished Appellate Decisions
- Alonso v. Chahal, 2017 WL 5508205, California Court of Appeal, First
District - enforceability of agreement to arbitrate employment-related claims.
- Berger v. Varum, 2015 WL 9412778, California Court of Appeal, First
District - liability of building designers and engineers.
- Margaronis v. Tobin, 2013 WL 5806266, California Court of Appeal, First
District - Application of anti-harassment injunction to members of family
- Crane v. Clark, 2013 WL 5536205, California Court of Appeal, First District -
use of requests for admission and expert testimony during trial.
- ADEM, LLC v. Grewal, 2009 WL 4941987, California Court of Appeal, Sixth
District - application of strategic litigation against public participation
(SLAPP) to attorney fee claim.
- Selvitella v. City of South San Francisco, 2011 U.S. App. LEXIS 6329, 425
Fed Appx. 544, 2011 WL 1113201, US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- public employee's right to discovery in administrative hearings.
- Carmignani v. Paganini (Carmignani II), 2010 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 8291,
2010 WL 4132611, California Court of Appeal, First District - attorneys fees
and costs in real estate sales contract dispute.
- Carmignani v. Paganini (Carmignani I), 2007 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 7490,
2007 WL 2697312, California Court of Appeal, First District - non-disclosure
in real estate sales contract.
- Reudy v. O.K. Investments, 2007 WL 1154053, California Court of Appeal,
First District - standing under the Unfair Business Practices Act.
- Bowen v. Linuxcare, 2006 WL 2089916, California Court of Appeal, First
District - enforceability of employee release agreement in sexual
- Officers for Justice v. City and County of San Francisco, 1997 U.S. App.
LEXIS 34846, 1997 WL 770387, US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit -
application of the California Civil Rights Initiative.
- McAuliffe Honor Society of the University of San Francisco School of Law
- Departmental Citation in Agricultural Economics and Business Management awarded by the University of California (Davis)