- All the courts of the State of California
- United States District Court, Northern, Central and Eastern Districts of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law
- B.A., Political Science, Minor in History, University of California, Davis
John P. Girarde
Mr. Girarde serves as counsel to individuals and companies in cases involving professional liability, personal injury, habitability actions, construction defect, products liability, trucking, employment litigation, commercial disputes and insurance coverage. He has both bench and jury trial experience and has successfully handled several appeals at both the state and federal level.
- Represents small and mid-size businesses, including construction firms, manufacturers, transportation companies and entertainment venues in a variety of litigation, including personal injury, construction defect, premises liability, employment and breach of contract.
- Defends lawyers and real estate professionals in professional liability actions, with a high rate of success at winning dismissal in the pre-trial stage through dispositive motions.
- Defends hotel owners and operators in class action lawsuits involving claims arising from habitability violations and wrongful eviction.
- Represents insurance companies and financial services firms in commercial disputes and complex litigation.
Published Appellate Opinions
Trapp v. Naiman, (July 26, 2013) Case No. E054908, California Court of Appeal, Fourth Appellate District, Division Two
Selected Client Representations
- Took over representation of landlord two months prior to trial in wrongful eviction class action involving 120 tenants of single-room occupancy hotel. After defeating class certification, proceeded with a two-week jury trial of individual claims in San Francisco Superior Court, with a favorable settlement achieved shortly before closing argument.
- Defended a law firm and individual attorneys in a federal action alleging civil RICO, conspiracy and fraud. After winning dismissal of the action through a series of motions to dismiss, defeated plaintiff's appeal in the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. When plaintiff re-filed in San Francisco Superior Court, won dismissal of the action in the pre-pleading stage.
- Defended the lessor/operator of a single-room occupancy hotel in a habitability class action involving 164 current and former tenants who sought over $2 million in damages in San Francisco Superior Court. Negotiated a favorable pre-trial settlement for client during the class certification stage of the litigation.
- Defended the nation's largest equipment rental company in a civil rights action brought by a customer alleging anti-homosexual discrimination. Won summary judgment for client in San Francisco Superior Court, and then defeated plaintiff's appeal in 1st District Court of Appeals.
Mr. Girarde is a member of the Litigation Section of the State Bar of California, and the American Bar Association. He is also a regular attendee at the annual West Coast Casualty conference in Anaheim, CA.