James A. Murphy
88 Kearny Street
San Francisco, CA 94108
725 S. Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90017
- All courts in the State of California
- Federal District Court for the State of California, Northern, Eastern and Central Districts
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal
Pro Hac Vice
- United States District Court
- Southern District of New York
- Western District of Kentucky
- Rhode Island
- Northern District of Illinois
- State of Washington
- State of Oregon
- State of Nevada
- Commonwealth of Kentucky
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- BS, St. Mary's College of California U. Jerome Griffin medal as ranking member in Department of Economics
- JD, University of California, Davis, Order of the Coif
James A. Murphy
Mr. Murphy has tried in excess of 75 jury trials to verdict. He is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (Cal-ABOTA), the National Board of Trial Advocates, and is a Certified Specialist in legal malpractice by The State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization. Mr. Murphy is also a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. He represents lawyers sued for malpractice nationwide. Mr. Murphy was a consultant to the professional malpractice chapters in Bancroft-Whitney’s California Civil Practice, Torts.
His practice also includes the representation of judges in disciplinary proceedings before the California Commission on Judicial Performance. He is the past Chair of the State Bar of California Board of Specialization Legal Malpractice Consulting Group.
Mr. Murphy also counsels Directors and Officers relative to their duties and responsibilities under California and federal law and represents corporations, directors and officers in litigation matters.
In addition to his professional liability and D & O practice, Mr. Murphy has litigated and tried cases involving software licenses, copyright and patent issues, and unfair competition.
Mr. Murphy is rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell and was voted one of the Top 100 Lawyers of the Northern California SuperLawyers. Additionally, in 2016, Mr. Murphy received the Lifetime Achievement Membership among America's Top 100 Attorneys.
Mr. Murphy is a member of the following professional associations.
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- National Board of Trial Advocates
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys
- American Arbitration Association
- Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California
- Consultant to Bancroft-Whitney, California Civil Practice, Professional Malpractice
- Lifetime Achievement Membership - America's Top 100 Attorneys
Select Published Appellate Decisions
- Schultze v. Chandler, 765 F.3d 945, United States Court of Appeal, Ninth Circuit, August 1, 2014
- Nemecek & Cole, et al. v. Steven J. Horn, 208 Cal.App. 4th 641, 145 Cal. Rptr. 3d, California Court of Appeals, Second District, Division Eight, July 23, 2012
- Desert Outdoor Advertising v. The Superior Court of San Francisco City and County, 196 Cal.App.4th 866, 127 Cal.Rptr.3d 158, California Court of Appeal, First Appellate District, Division One, June 17, 2011
- Obert v. Republic Western Insurance Company, 398 F.3d 138, United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit, February 18, 2005
- Mussier v. Provencher, 28 Cal. 4th 274, 121 Cal. Rptr.2d 373, Supreme Court of California, June 27, 2002
- Gianini v. Lee (1995) 36 Cal.App.4th 60
- Republic Western Insurance Company v. Spierer, Woodward, Willens, Denis and Furstman, 68 F.3d 347, United States Court of Appeals, Ninth District, October 17, 1995
- Baumer v. Pachl, 8F.3d 1341 (9th Cir. 1993)
- U.S. Roofing, Inc. v. Credit Alliance Corp, et al., 228 Cal.App.3d 1431, 279 Cal. Rptr. 533, California Court of Appeals, Third District, March 29, 1991